Following our post on the launch of Australia’s Berlin Start-up Landing Pad, here is an overview of the Australian Government’s strategy with the Landing Pads.
The current government has identified innovation, science and research as key elements in the long term growth and prosperity of the economy.
Innovation is about new and existing businesses creating new products, processes and business models. It is also about creating a culture that backs good ideas and learns from taking risks and making mistakes.
In order to formalise and pursue this commitment to future growth, the Australian Government has developed a National Innovation and Science Agenda which focuses on four key pillars, and the various initiatives will be funded by A$ 1.1 billion over four years:
- Culture and capital
- Talent and skills
- Government as an exemplar
The Landing Pads:
The Landing Pads are part of this strategy, and will enable startups to rapidly fine-tune their pitch, commercialise their offering, identify partners, customers and investors, and access global markets. Participants in the programme will be immersed in an environment that will help them accelerate the design and development of their product or service business model.
What’s on offer for participating start-ups?
Firstly, assistance from Austrade prior to departure:
- Assistance identifying business goals while at the Landing Pad
- Insights on what success looks like in market
- Advice on the costs of operating in market
- Advice on how to maximise your time in market.
Secondly, 90 day residency at an established co-working space:
- Co-locate with some of the best startups in the world
- Free access to your own operational base in an established co-working space for up to 90 days
- Access all services and facilities on offer such as coaching; introductions to mentors, investors and customers; training; and networking events.
Landing Pad locations:
These have been selected based on their status as a global innovation hub, their innovation and start-up ecosystem, and their accessible network of entrepreneurial talent, mentors and investors.
More information is available at the Australia Unlimited (Austrade) Landing Pads website.
If your organisation would like to apply for the programme, information can be found here.